Melissa is one of only a few Certified Elder Law Attorneys in Illinois. She concentrates her practice in elder law, which includes Medicaid planning and applications, adult guardianship estates, trust and estate administration, and estate planning. Melissa also serves as a court appointed Guardian ad Litem (GAL) and counsel for Respondents in guardianship estates. She frequently presents to attorney, consumer, and healthcare professional groups on a variety of elder law topics.
Melissa has been named as an “Emerging Lawyer” in the field of Elder Law by the Leading Lawyers Network each year since 2018. Less than 2% of all lawyers licensed in each state have receive the distinction of Emerging Lawyer. Melissa has also been named as an Illinois Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in the field of Elder Law each year since 2018. The Rising Stars list recognizes no more than 2.5% of attorneys in each state.
Melissa is a current board member of the Illinois Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and President-elect of the Veterans’ Legal Aid Society. She is a past chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Elder Law Committee. Melissa is also a member of M-Team, a volunteer multidisciplinary team focusing on combating abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation of vulnerable adults on the north side of Chicago.
In her free time, Melissa enjoys traveling, playing and watching sports, hiking, and spending time at her family’s camp in Upper Michigan. Melissa resides in Chicago with her husband, Dan, and their 4 cats – Izzy, Bitsy, Iris, and Leo.
I became an attorney because I wanted to work with people and have a positive impact on their lives. Nowhere is this more apparent and rewarding than in the field of Elder Law. My clients’ goals become my goals and I enjoy working with them every step of the way to accomplish
Elder Law Certification
Awards and Honors
Melissa has been licensed to practice law since 2014. Prior to joining Dutton Casey & Mesoloras in January 2013 as a law clerk, Melissa clerked for an elder law firm in her hometown of Marquette, Michigan. In addition, she worked at the UIC John Marshall Law School Veteran’s Clinic throughout her law school education.
- Juris Doctor from the UIC John Marshall Law School with a Certificate in Elder Law
- Bachelors of Business Administration , Magna Cum Laude, in Finance from Northern Michigan University
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, National and Illinois Chapter
- National Elder Law Foundation
- Chicago bar Association
- Court appointed pro bono Guardian ad Litern (GAL) through Chicago Volunteer Legal Service
- Member of a M-Team, a multidisciplinary team focusing on combating abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation of vulnerable adults on the north side of the Chicago
- Board Member, Veterans’ Legal Aid Society
- Board Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Illinois Chapter
- Chair, Elder Law Committee of the Chicago Bar Association, 2020-2021