Important Information to Know and Keep Current
There is a lot to keep track of in life. Paying bills, seeing friends and family, your health…the list goes on. On top of that, it’s important to keep certain documents in order and on-hand, not just to reference them now, but for those you put in place to act on your behalf should you be unable to or for when you pass away. Below are a few categories of information you should know and keep current, and some resources to check out.
- Information on all medical conditions and surgeries in the last five years.
- A list of medications, including the name, dose, and name of the prescriber.
- Names, contact information, and patient portal login and passwords for all health care providers (physicians, advanced practice nurses, hospitals, etc.)
- Name, phone number, login information and password for pharmacy.
- Name and contact information for local professionals
- Care manager, therapist, doctor, surgeon
- Name, contact information, and the cards for all health insurance and medication plans.
- Insurance policies, the carriers, the account / policy numbers, and names of beneficiaries
- Names, account number, and contact information for all utilities
- Electric, phone, cable, water, internet
- Safe Deposit Box
- Location? Where is the key? Who has access?
- Legal documents – originals and copies
- Wills, advance directives, trusts, powers of attorney
- All amendments, exhibits, attachments, and schedules
- Name and contact information for drafting attorney
- Location of important documents
- Birth certificates, naturalization papers, marriage certificates, death certificates, veteran paperwork
- Deed to home(s), mortgage, car titles
- Social Security Cards
- Health insurance cards
- Driver’s license or state ID
- A list of all assets and debts
- Include dollar amount and any account numbers
- Monthly income
- Monthly expenses
- A statement of net worth
- Information on bank accounts, other financial holdings, and credit cards
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys – www.naela.org
- National Elder Law Foundation – www.nelf.org
- Aging Life Care Professionals Assoc. (Care Managers) – www.caremanager.org
At Dutton Casey & Mesoloras, we can help get your documents in order so there is less stress and confusion in times when you are not able to communicate that information. Call us at 312-899-0950 to learn more.
This information is not to be considered legal advice.